Peter Leckett's contemporary landscapes reflect the dynamic countryside of the Ottawa valley and the surrounding Gatineau Hills. Growing up in a constantly changing northern climate, this emerging artist has always found a wealth of diverse subject matter in the rugged Canadian landscape. His dedication to his work can be found in his commitment to executing works outdoors in sometimes harsh and challenging environments
Always a serious amateur, he has consistently developed his painting and figurative skills over the years. Part of this development was his election into the Canadian Society of Painters in Watercolour (CSPWC), the Society of Canadian Artists (SCA) and recently, the Ontario Society of Artists.
I almost always begin my work from live models. In the case of landscape, more often than not, this starts with a plein air painting. My focus at that point is to record and respond to the subject matter and environment as best I can. I’m not a slave to detail. But I am focused on trying to see what is really out there and trying to avoid symbolism from entering the process. Good drawing skills and a sense of design play important roles.
Once back in the studio, I begin modifying the work as I see fit. At this point, I reverse my way of looking at the work and begin painting from the “minds” eye so to speak. Imagination creeps in and I begin to coax imagery out through a process of trial and error.
And so we repeat the process. I don’t use photography other than to record the progress of the work, mostly for posting on social media. Both Instagram and Facebook are important sounding boards for me. Posting work provides invaluable feedback on direction and quality. And social media provides inspiration (and humility) by following the work of others. It is truly a wonderful time to be an artist.
- 2016 - CSPWC Ontario East Members Show, Brockville Arts Centre, Brockville
- 2013 - SCA National Open,45th National Open Juried Exhibition, Ogilvy Centre, Montreal
- 2013 - SCA Members Show, Joseph D. Carrier Gallery, Toronto
- 2009 - Ottawa International Airport
- 2008 - CSPWC - Open Water - John B. Aird Gallery, Toronto
- 2007 - Ottawa Watercolour Society - Cube Gallery, Ottawa
- 2006 - Society of Canadian Artists - Ogilvy Centre - Montreal
- 2005 - Society of Canadian Artists - Ogilvy Centre, Ottawa
- 2002 - International Artist - Oct/Nov issue 2002
- 2020 - Ontario Society of Artists (OSA)
- 2011 - Canadian Society of Painters in Watercolour (CSPWC)
- 2002 - Society of Canadian Artists (SCA)
- 1980 - B. Math - University of Waterloo
- Electric Street Gallery, 299 Crichton Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1M 1W3
- Viva Vida Art Gallery, 278 Lakeshore Road, suite #2, Pointe-Claire, QC, H9S 4K9